What Is Workers’ Compensation?
Workers' compensation insurance is insurance that provides lost income, medical benefits, disability benefits, and rehabilitative services for workers injured on the job or while performing work-related duties.
Why Your Business Needs Workers’ Compensation Insurance
When an employee gets hurt on the job or has a work-related illness, only workers’ compensation will cover them. Health insurance benefits will not provide coverage for on-the-job injuries.
What Is the Best Way to Keep Costs Down?
- Provide training for hazardous work, especially for new or inexperienced workers.
- Enforce safety rules and practices.
- Enforce drug and alcohol rules.
- Require safety equipment to be worn at all times.
- Keep work areas clean.
- Workers should not wear loose clothing or jewelry around machinery.
- Where required, workers must wear protective equipment such as goggles, safety glasses, masks, gloves, hairnets, etc. appropriate to the task.
- Safety equipment such as restraints, pullbacks, and two-hand devices are designed for worker’s protection. Be sure such equipment is adjusted for each worker.
- Do not ever remove machine safety guards.
- Develop a system for reporting unsafe practices.
- Have monthly safety meetings that review safety issues and related topics.
- Create accident investigation procedures that focus on prevention and change.